Ground was broken in 1957 for the present day St. Barnabas school building, and Father O’Reilly announced the new campus in January 1958 with the opening of a Middle School. The elementary students would continue to attend St. Thomas until 1968 when the entire school was brought home to the present St. Barnabas Catholic School. The Daughters of Charity provided the needed administration to mold St. Barnabas into a symbol of excellence in education in the Birmingham area
St. Barnabas Catholic School is part of the Diocese of Birmingham Catholic Schools Office (CSO). The CSO provides schools with valuable assistance through the offices of the Director of Religious Education David Anders, Superintendent Fran Lawlor, and Julie Emory-Johnson as Director of Curriculum Instruction and Staff Development. We have access to counselors for our students and staff through the diocesan Family Catholic Services. St. Barnabas currently has nine accredited classroom teachers with five holding a Master’s degree in their subject area.